-- Bob, Twin Peaks
So, it turns out that I'm a lying liar.
Okay... that might be a bit extreme. It turns out that my original obligations for the evening didn't manifest, so I was able to slip out to SF for the opening gala of Anti/Life.
And what an opening it was!
The music was excellent! The crowd was awesome! All of my favorite people were there! It was a perfect club night!
Well, mostly. You kids know me. I can't compliment anything without coming back with a few complaints.
First, the good:
The bar at Cafe du Nord is gorgeous and very classy looking. And the lounging areas were excellent (a little more seating would have been divine, but such is the case in most bars... and they certainly have more seating than DNA Lounge).
The music was pretty fucking awesome. Lots of industrial and techno body music goodness, so that's a win by me. Bravo to the DJs: Lexor, Keyz, and Unit 77.
There was absolutely no one there that looked like a tourist. This is a nice contrast to Death Guild (in fact, the tourist-factor is the only thing I don't care for about DG and DNA Lounge). Everyone was decked to the nines and looked beautiful!
All the Vixens I know on sight were in attendance, which was lovely. But instead of being the go-go dancers for the night, they just got to hang out on the dance floor and have a good time.
Now onto the "meh" - in this case, the complaints are purely venue-specific - not complaints about Anti/Life itself.
1) The dance-floor at the Cafe du Nord is really small. Considering that there was something in the vicinity of 150 people there last night (rough mental guesstimate, so I may be totally off - take with plenty of salt), you couldn't comfortably fit more than about 20 people at a time on the dance floor. This is something that probably can't be rectified in the downstairs space of the Cafe (which is a shame because the place has excellent atmosphere). But maybe make use of the large upstairs dance-floor space as well or instead?
2) The men's bathroom was fucking disgusting. Walking anywhere near the restroom door was malodorous and offensive, even when said door was closed. I can't convey this enough. I am a guy. I'm used to gross bathrooms. But in a joint that looks as classy as the Cafe du Nord, I'd expect the restrooms to not smell and look like an abattoir of shit and urine (piss on the floors, guys? Really?). This is something that the venue can absolutely change and/or fix. I hope that any future events (especially any future Anti/Life nights) insist on the venue management ensuring that this isn't a problem going forward. Really bad form, folks.
I have no idea as to what was going on in the Ladies' room. Hopefully nothing this foul.
Anyway - overall opinion: Anti/Life is excellent! Eric and Fushia had an amazing first night and I look forward to seeing how this newest addition to the scene grows going forward.
For those curious about the rest of the week:
- Strangelove's Vampire Ball is on Friday at the Cat Club.
- Disorder at Bar 355 in Oakland is on Saturday.
- PEERS' Victorian 12th Night Ball is also on Saturday, at the San Mateo Masonic Temple.